Daily rambles, stumbles and travels

Sunday, 20 March 2011

J-Plan Update

A long overdue entry about certain events that have happened within this past week...

As many of you know by now, just over a week ago there was a a terrible natural disaster that hit Japan, not only was it the largest earthquake to hit the Isle, but simultaneously a tsunami wave took out a majority of the North eastern coast. This lead to an oil plant exploding in the Chiba and one of the Nuclear Power plants in the Fukishima prefecture began to over heat and there has been threats to it leaking.
Watching these events happen was shocking, seeing peoples lives being shattered in an instant, loosing people they love and/or their homes. Many are missing and many more were found dead in the days to follow. You can't help but feel so helpless when seeing something like this.

Despite these terrible uncontrollable events, Japan's people have come together to help one another out, friends and strangers housing one another and giving out food to those who need it. There was no looting or mass panics, they managed to keep under control and dealt with all the situations in a calm manner. I was so proud of the people at their strong willpower, the very Japanese way of "pick up and carry on" attitude is very inspiring. My heart goes out to all of those effected <3 I can gladly say the folks I know who are out there are all safe, even those who live in the effected areas. I must thank them for uploading up-to-date information concerning the post natural disasters (Even some of them managed to report while during), giving insight into what is really happening.

If you are interested in helping those effected by the tsunami/quakes, PLEASE check out the following links!

***Donate to the Japan's Tsunami/Earthquake disaster***

You can donate to help those effected by this natural disaster via Global Giving or American Red Cross give as much or as little as you like.

Now the first thing many people asked me was "How does this effect your travels to Japan?"; This wasn't necessarily the first thing I was thinking, but it did dawn on me a couple of days later post to these events when situations began to unravel, that the plans my b/f and I had been working towards for almost an entire year may have flown out the window.

I think it was about three days ago that I became a little numb trying to fight off the idea that I'd have to admit defeat, I become glued to any news source about the quakes and tsunami effects on Japan. This DID NOT help in any way, as all Western media were, and still are blowing everything out of proportion and causing more harm by spreading panic via the exaggerated and usually untrue headlines, devoid of any factual information.
I may have sat for a few nights in the early hours of the morning with insomnia, trying my best not to give into emotion and repressing the hell out of it. I didn't want to give into these emotions because to me they seemed somewhat selfish in comparison to what people were going through in Japan, but naturally, my mind cracked and I was very overwhelmed with the likelihood that plans of living in Japan may be cancelled.

Although, all is not lost! Luckily, I have a very supportive b/f, family members and friends who have kept my hopes high about my travels to Japan.
I started to ignore a majority of Western media coverage and watching NHK instead, who have been ontop of all up-to-date information, making sure to spread understanding as well as the positive sides of the story. How communities came together to help one another and how Japanese architecture saved thousands of lives.

So, whats the latest news?
Tokyo and the surrounding area is doing pretty alright for itself, a lot of the city is back to normal, which includes Yokohama, our destination. Transportation is running, food is there and many places are open once more. The people are a little shaken from the quake, but they are back on their feet.
The British government are still advising against all non essential travel to Tokyo at this present time, so after much discussion between my b/f and I, we have decided 'Plan Japan' is still a-go, but we've dropped our flight back a week or so. This should hopefully give enough time for the surrounding area of Tokyo to reach a normality.

We're still not sure of dates just yet, as we have to re-book flights and schtuff, but I will keep you all updated (As much as I can anyways!) with everything Plan Japan.

No comments: